Ten Fast Facts: Dunkirk
Learn more about Christopher Nolan’s latest movie.
1. Director Christopher Nolan considered shooting the movie without a script.
2. Dunkirk was inspired by war movies like All Quiet on the Western Front, but also by timebound, action movies like Speed and Unstoppable which inspired the movie’s pace and sense of urgency.
3. Real ships and planes were used in the movie. Hardly surprising coming from Nolan, who prefers practical effects over CGI.
4. One Direction member Harry Styles makes his acting debut.
5. Making his feature film debut is English actor Fionn Whitehead, who plays the movie’s main character, Tommy.
6. The story is told from three different perspectives: land, sea, and air.
7. Although the characters are fictional, the movie is based on a real event: the Battle of Dunkirk. Taking place during World War II, it involved an evacuation of Allied Forces to England.
8. Instead of using a stand-in location, Dunkirk was shot in Dunkirk. Shooting also coincided with the actual dates of the evacuation.
9. Contrary to popular belief, this is not a Nolan movie without Michael Caine. The English actor makes a cameo in the movie. Keep an ear out for it!
10. It also stars Nolan regulars Tom Hardy and Cillian Murphy.
Watch Dunkirk, your #SundayNightMovie on 16 September at 20:05 on M-Net channel 101.